Wednesday, August 26, 2009

emperor and the golem

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043411/

 

recommended to me as a great movie . . . 8.1 on IMDB

 

Golem is Yiddish . .. cf. Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

 

Yesterday afternoon, I was called away from my mundane tasks to attend an “Induction” for new employees, including 2 new colleagues, but I am not one of, tho’ I have apparently been on probation for 90 days as a new hire, even tho’ I have been with the company for 5 years, because I transferred from US to CZ . . . we were served Kolaches (Plum (prune) and Pear)), Strudel, anti-pastas, beer, wine, & juice . . . so from 3:30 till 5 pm I sat and drank on the company dime . . . fair enough . . .

 

I missed my weekly yoga class, but because I had a 5pm phone conf, anyway . . .got home after 6:30 . . . had a glass of champers with Mrs while we tried to visually straighten our new framed picture (by drinking, not by actually moving screws in the wall, if you see what I mean) . . . then we went to Lenka Hlava (Clear Head) vegetarian restaurant  . . . but never mind all that . . . 

 

the caterer for the Induction soiree’ was Golem Catering . . .  the waiter looked like a Hollywood – no, like a Czech film – stereotype of an evil Marquis, with his goatee curled in different strands – and – this is the point, at long last – I tho’t a golem was kind of an evil, murderous, vampire kinda thingy, which would be a very odd selection for the name of a caterer, I think you will agree, but all the Czechs agreed it just means servant . . .

 

according to Wikipedia, they are correct . . . it is even the unacknowledged model for Capek’s RUR . . . but . . . I had it in my head that Golum, from Lord of the Rings, was even modeled after the Golem concept, that the Golem was THAT kind of a being  . . . but I guess I was just ill-informed . . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment