Monday, August 17, 2009

Veverka Ciperka


Went to lunch with my office crowd, over to the Slunucnice (sunflower) . . .

My compadres perversely enjoy watching me parse over the menu picking out words I know . . .

Kruti . . .kureci . . .losos . . . pecene. . . .brambori . . . ryze . . . smazene . . . grilada . . .

But they were all smirking and laughing openly last Friday . . . as puzzled over a new entry in the menu . . .

“Veverka Ciperka!”

Means squirrel . . .. Ciperka means cute or perky . . . it’s like a generic name now, from a cartoon character, I think . . .

We all had to have it . . . .when it came, it was chicken sprinkled with chopped nuts . . . I think . . . would have been a very large squirrel . . . but the rabbits here are big as jackrabbits, too . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment